Tuesday, February 01, 2005

"Coffee and Cigarettes"

OK, so I watched the Coffee and Cigarettes DVD. Of course, I have some thoughts about this movie.

I'm sure Jim Jarmusch is a gifted filmmaker. I haven't seen any of his other films, but I'd heard of him, and a brief look at his IMDB entry confirms his place in independent cinema.

But will somebody tell me what was the FRICKIN' POINT OF THIS MOVIE? Or is the point that it's pointless; that the filmmaker used a cinemagraphic device (people meeting and talking over coffee and cigs) as an excuse to put together 8 or 10 dialogue-driven vignettes starring his Hollywood friends and pass it off as high art?

I did enjoy it, but I just don't get the point. And I thought there were opportunities for more effective use of some high profile actors that the director missed. Several times during the movie the dialogue was so predictable I found myself saying the exact words that his actors voiced.

This movie is just BEGGING to be spoofed. So, while the movie was still fresh in my mind, I wrote a script for what I'm going to call "Scotch and Cigars". I typed up four bizarre and considerably pointless episodes in maybe one half of an hour. I was laughing while I wrote it, which I rarely do. The movie will run about 10 minutes, and I can see it being fairly simple to produce.

Whether I shoot it or not, it was a lot of fun to write.

No comments: